Capirossi and Bridgestones


During his stay in Malaysia, Capirossi took time-out to talk to www.bridgestonemotorsport.com about his new role with Dorna, rider reactions to Bridgestone's 2012 tyres, and his hopes for MotoGP in the future.

How did your appointment as Safety Advisor to Dorna come about? Then last year when I announced I was retiring, we decided I would work as Safety Advisor and I am really happy about this because I have been involved with the safety commission since 2003 and I never missed a meeting, and during this time I think we did an amazing job to improve rider safety."

What are the main objectives you hope to achieve this year in your new role?
"The first step for this year was to resume the collaboration with Bridgestone and to develop a working plan for the future. Bridgestone is very important to rider safety and so our relationship is also important, and I am happy to be involved with their work in MotoGP."

In your discussions with the riders, what was the feedback on Bridgestone’s 2012 specification tyres?
"The general feeling is that the 2012 specification tyres are very good. The riders are happy with the warm-up performance and improved feeling and this is important for their confidence. Also, the experimental front tyre that was tested here in Sepang gave riders an understanding of the direction of Bridgestone’s development and for this, the feeling was also positive."
"Honestly, things have been really positive here and I am pleased I can help provide Bridgestone with some information from the riders."

So the riders are responding well to you in your new role?
"Definitely, yes. The riders respect me, so this puts me in a good position to offer advice on what the riders require."

In what direction do you see MotoGP heading in the future? CRT is the first step, and we have to try and make this step so that in a couple of years, things can improve."
I hope that this year is the first step to a big change for MotoGP."